Re: [netcdfgroup] please try out the netcdf daily snapshot for opendap, hdf4-reading, hdf5-reading, szip compression, etc.

  • To: Ansley Manke <Ansley.B.Manke@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [netcdfgroup] please try out the netcdf daily snapshot for opendap, hdf4-reading, hdf5-reading, szip compression, etc.
  • From: Dennis Heimbigner <dennis.heimbigner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 15:19:27 -0600
The ncgen man page should provide a usable
introduction to the new CDL syntax.
Of course, suggestions for improvement
are welcome.

=Dennis Heimbigner

Ansley Manke wrote:
Hi -

* A completely rewritten ncgen, which now fully supports netCDF-4.

Is there documentation for writing datasets in netcdf-4 formats? or is poking into the new ncgen code a good place to start?

Ed Hartnett wrote:
Howdy all!

Here at NetCDF World Headquarters, we are preparing the 4.1 release of
the netCDF C/Fortran libraries. There are many exciting new features in
this release, including:

* Remote data access with the new built-in opendap client.
* Reading of existing HDF4/HDF5 data archives with the netCDF C/Fortran
  APIs.
* A completely rewritten ncgen, which now fully supports netCDF-4.
* Use of parallel-netcdf library to do parallel I/O on netCDF classic
  and 64-bit offset format files.
* The nc-config script to help build netCDF programs.
* UDUNITS now distributed with netCDF.
* The ability to compress netCDF-4/HDF5 data with szip
  compression. (JUST ADDED!)

Now would be a great time for our dedicated user community to download
the daily snapshot, let us know that it builds cleanly, and try out
some of the new features.

Get the latest snapshot here:
ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/snapshot/netcdf-4-daily.tar.gz

Build it according to instructions here:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs_snapshot/netcdf-install.html#Quick-Instructions

Report results (good or bad) to the support email address:
support-netcdf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks!

Ed