Re: [netcdfgroup] ncdump (snapshot2009102000) missing some coordinate variables for OPeNDAP data set

  • To: Jennifer Adams <jma@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [netcdfgroup] ncdump (snapshot2009102000) missing some coordinate variables for OPeNDAP data set
  • From: Dennis Heimbigner <dennis.heimbigner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 20:11:52 -0600
The reason to download extra information is to cache it
on the client side so that some other client side request
can be addressed without contacting the server.
Currently, my netcdf client code does over-request
when that request is not "too large" as defined by a
user-configurable parameter.
=Dennis Heimbigner

Jennifer Adams wrote:
I've looked more closely at the GDS code ... although a .dods request that is missing any constraints is rejected automatically, there is no restriction on the size of a subset request; it is not even configurable. I guess this is because the subsets are never cached. If the client has the bandwidth and the patience to attempt to download a terabyte of data in a single request, the GDS will try to comply. The server does allow me to constrain the size of server-side analysis results -- that's because these are cached.

In any event, even if GDS did allow a .dods request without a constraint, I think it would be a mistake to use that syntax to get the coordinate data values. Why download ALL data when you just need a 1-D array for a single variable?
--Jennifer