Re: [netcdfgroup] ncdump (snapshot2009102000) missing some coordinate variables for OPeNDAP data set

Hi Dennis,

Dennis Heimbigner wrote:
I dont think I follow this comment.
The log output is generally for debugging purposes
and I would not expect ordinary users to use it.
Rather, they will see a netcdf error such as NC_SVCERR
indicating a server side error. If they encounter that,
then someone more sophisticated can turn on logging and
see the details.  The problem is that there is currently no
way to pass more detailed info thru the netcdf API.

I'm thinking along the lines of the NF_STRERROR(status) call which takes an error code and returns an error string. It might be that the string would be "error at the data server. Please contact the administrator ..." Returning some words is better than

** unknown netCDF error code: -69

In any case, the error messages available after "setenv OCLOGFILE" are highly useful. This output received by Ferret is much more helpful than the error code alone. Can things be set so that the application can get this kind of message? Could the Warnings and Errors be separated so that we could get one and not the other?

=Dennis Heimbigner