Re: [netcdfgroup] [gdsjaar@xxxxxxxxxx: strlen calls in NC_finddim and NC_findvar]

I modified my fix somewhat from what is described below. The NC_string 'nchars' field is not what is needed since it is modified for alignment issues and can be incorrect after a rename operation. Instead, I added a 'lenstr' field to both NC_dim and NC_var which maintains the length of the name. This reduced the number of strlen calls in one case from 476,952,472 to 389,810 (43.6% of execution time down to 0.25%). There are still several calls to strncmp. I think that perhaps a better fix than caching the name string length may be to compute a hash of the name and store that instead. The finddim and findvar functions can then hash the name they are searching for. The inner loop could then just compare the hash values and if they match, do the further strncmp check to catch hash collisions.

Rob Latham wrote:
Greg S. found something noteworthy on the serial netcdf list.  We do
something similar (not surprising: i'm sure our NC_finddim and
NC_findvar functions are 99% unchanged from serial netcdf)

In NC_finddim we have a call to strlen as part of the condition of a
for loop.  If there are a lot of dimensions as in Greg's case, then
yeah, we too would call strlen a lot.

http://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/parallel-netcdf/browser/trunk/src/lib/dim.c#L135

our ncmpii_NC_findvar calls strlen inside a loop for each variable in
a dataset.

http://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/parallel-netcdf/browser/trunk/src/lib/var.c#L317

How common are datasets with thousands of dimensions and thousands of
variables?

In a followup message, Greg found at least one case where "size" was
not the same as strlen(name) for one of these NC_dim types, so it
looks like the easy optimization won't work out after all.

The status quo isn't awful if you've got a small number of dimensions
and variables: if anybody else has a dataset like Greg's, though,
list.

thanks
==rob

----- Forwarded message from Greg Sjaardema <gdsjaar@xxxxxxxxxx> -----