Re: [netcdfgroup] auto linking hdf5 libraries?

If you build netcdf from source, the resulting libraries
should already exhibit this behavior.  It is possible
that whoever is setting up the RPM is not properly
using shared libraries.

=Dennis Heimbigner
 Unidata

Chris Webster wrote:
So I notice that on some of my netCDF installations from RPMs if you link against libnetcdf_c++ that it will automatically link to libnetcdf also. Would it be possible to get the same behavior from the hdf5 libraries when/if netCDF is being built against hdf5? My case for this is that software we distribute which depends upon netCDF but not HDF5 does not know whether the target system has the HDF5 build of netCDF or not (sorry I am not sophisticated enough to use autoconfig at this time). So the user will have to tweak Makefile / SConscript files to either add or delete the -lhdf5.

e.g. ncplot does not require hdf5, but when UWyo downloads the source and builds they may have to tweak the Makefile for -lhdf5 depending on which netCDF version they have.

So, is what I am asking for possible?  Am I making sense?

Thanks,
Chris