Re: [netcdfgroup] Fwd: Looks like a bug in the netCDF NC_64BIT_OFFSET variables

John Caron wrote:
Kari, im forwarding this to netcdfgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, which deals with the C library.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:     Looks like a bug in the netCDF NC_64BIT_OFFSET variables
Date:     Tue, 13 Apr 2010 17:48:33 -0500
From:     Kari Hoijarvi <hoijarvi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:     support-netcdf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
CC: caron@xxxxxxxx, "Rudolf B. Husar (E-mail)" <rhusar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Stefan Falke (E-mail)" <stefan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Michael Decker <m.decker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ben Domenico <Ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello,

This looks like a bug in the NC_64BIT_OFFSET big variable handling.

I have a test here that creates 3000* 1000 * 2000 float variable, 24 GB

After nc_enddef, the file size is suspiciously 4 GB

After writing the data, the size is 16.0 GB (17,184,000,120 bytes),
instead of 24 GB.

Reading fails to produce expected results at strange offset 0, 516, 704

I attached my version netcdf/nc_test/nc_test.c, it has a new function
test_big_cube_without_unlimited_dim().
It should be easy to copy that over and run it.

If you are on a 64 bits computer your 'start' and 'count' arrays are wrong.
You should define them as 'size_t start[3];' and 'size_t count[3];' instead
of int as you now do.
If you use the gcc compiler, you should compile with the '-Wall' option
which emits some useful warnings.

If you are not on a 64b computer, I don't know. You program works for
me on a 64b host.