[netcdfgroup] Netcdf Unstructured grid conventions

Dear fellow netcdf users

We are looking for "best practices" for a netcdf convention for unstructured grids, a la, ADCIRC, ELCIRC, FVCOM, SELFE. We hope to find some pointers, insights and advice from this forum.

I've gone through Russ Rew's archived email below: http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/mailing_lists/archives/netcdfgroup/2009/msg00088.html

From the links in Russ's email and limited googling, it appears that this is a somewhat "difficult" area and that there's not much available info after 2006.

However, what would currently be the "de facto" netcdf standard/convention to use for unstructured grids? Might there be a group that may be working towards the "one ring to rule them all" convention?

We're looking for a convention that is (among other things):
1. Generally recognised by visualization software.
2. Allows for convenient extraction of boundary condition data.

We'd be grateful for any advice/pointers.

regards
-hengkek
Tropical Marine Science Institute
Singapore