From: Shibaev, Sergei
Sent: 08 November 2010 16:17
To: 'netcdfgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: FW: [netcdfgroup] Netcdf-4.1.1 fault

Hello NetCDF Group,

In previous mail I have reported Netcdf-4.1.1 fault. Further
investigation shows that this is common NetCDF API problem.
I make a simple test program; it writes a requested number of small
identical items (1000 ints) into NetCDF file. The items are stored in
groups by 10. All items uses the same dummy dimension (may be this is
the root of the problem) in the root group. For all testing I use
HDF5-1.8.4patch1.
The plot attached shows file writing time as a function of number of
items. The traces are marked as: 401 - version 4.0.1 without chunking;
401C - with chunking: chunk size = 1000; 411 - version 4.1.1 without
chunking; 411C - with chunking.
H5 is time of HDF5 file writing; the file contains the same information
except dummy dimension: the item size is stored in the item itself.
The program crashes with two reasons: "HDF error" or "glibc detect:
double free or corruption". The crashes happen when the memory
consumption (by "top") exceeds 3 GB.
The memory consumption for 10000 items is approximately:
401  - 880 MB;
401C - 295 MB, note: better than 401;
411  - 848 MB;
411C - 40000 MB!!! - extrapolated, it crashes at 754 items.
Obviously there is a bug in chunking handling in version 4.1.1. Test
with compression gives practically the same result.
And there is a limit in NetCDF file complexity, at least for existing
API implementation.

Regards,
Sergei