[netcdfgroup] asking information about how to modify a value in a pre-existing variable in a netcdf (double)

Dear all,

I work with NetCDF and R and I'm a user of R Package ncdf4 by D. Pierce. I
kindly ask if there's way to change the values of a variable using this
package. The variable with its  attributes and its value is already
contained in a netcdf files and is generally double type with 1 or 2 or 3
dimension. I  would like to write in the file the modified value of the
variable directly.  I know the R command ncvar_put which derives from
ncvarput (NetCDF C library) but I cannot understand if I can use it also to
change a pre-existing value.

Thank you very much in advance for any help and suggestions.

Regards

Emanuele Cordano