[netcdfgroup] apparent bug in the latest beta snapshot of nccopy

Hi James and Dennis,

I discovered an apparent bug in the latest beta snapshot concerning nccopy.

I have two builds of netcdf, and I executed the following commands and obtained
different results:

USING LATEST BUILD (latest beta referenced in previous email)
ezaron$ ~/opt/bin/nccopy
http://omglnx1.meas.ncsu.edu:8080/thredds/dodsC/gomexppp/2010_June/avg/N N.nc

USING AN OLDER BUILD:
ezaron$ /opt/local/bin/nccopy
http://omglnx1.meas.ncsu.edu:8080/thredds/dodsC/gomexppp/2010_June/avg/N N.nc

The latest build fails to copy all the variables correctly. For some reason the
file it creates discards all the time variability of the 3-dimensional fields
(u,v, temp, and salt). I have attached the output of ncdump -h for the files. I
can post the entire files if needed, they are about 1GB.

Please see below the nc-config information for both netcdf builds.

Here's the config info on the LATEST BUILD:
ezaron$ ~/opt/bin/nc-config --all

This netCDF 4.1.2-beta2-snapshot2011011022 has been built with the following
features:

  --cc        -> cc
  --cflags    ->  -I/Users/ezaron/opt/include  -I/opt/local/include
-I/opt/local/include -I/opt/local/include
  --libs      -> -L/Users/ezaron/opt/lib -lnetcdf  -L/opt/local/lib -lhdf5_hl
-lhdf5 -L/opt/local/lib -lz -L/opt/local/lib -lcurl -L/opt/local/lib
-L/opt/local/lib -L/opt/local/lib -lidn -lssl -lcrypto -lssl -lcrypto -lz -lz
-lz

  --cxx       -> g++
  --has-c++   -> yes

  --fc        -> g95
  --fflags    -> -g -O2 /Users/ezaron/opt/include
  --flibs     -> -L/Users/ezaron/opt/lib -lnetcdff -lnetcdf
  --has-f77   -> no
  --has-f90   -> no

  --has-dap   -> yes
  --has-nc2   -> yes
  --has-nc4   -> yes
  --has-hdf5  -> yes
  --has-hdf4  -> no
  --has-pnetcdf-> no
  --has-szlib -> no

  --prefix    -> /Users/ezaron/opt
  --includedir-> /Users/ezaron/opt/include
  --version   -> netCDF 4.1.2-beta2-snapshot2011011022

Here's the config info on the working OLDER BUILD:
ezaron$ /opt/local/bin/nc-config --all

This netCDF 4.1.1 has been built with the following features:

  --cc        -> /opt/local/bin/gcc-mp-4.3
  --cflags    ->  -I/opt/local/include
  --libs      -> -L/opt/local/lib -lnetcdf

  --cxx       -> /opt/local/bin/g++-mp-4.3
  --has-c++   -> yes

  --fc        -> /opt/local/bin/gfortran-mp-4.3
  --fflags    -> -O2 -m64 -I/opt/local/include
  --flibs     -> -L/opt/local/lib -lnetcdff -lnetcdf
  --has-f77   -> yes
  --has-f90   -> yes

  --has-dap   -> yes
  --has-nc2   -> yes
  --has-nc4   -> yes
  --has-hdf5  -> yes
  --has-hdf4  -> no
  --has-szlib -> yes

  --prefix    -> /opt/local
  --includedir-> /opt/local/include
  --version   -> netCDF 4.1.1

Please forgive me if this is not the right place to post a bug report.

All the best,

-Ed