Re: [netcdfgroup] abi version for netcdf-4.1.2

marco atzeri <marco.atzeri@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Dear Developers,
> I just built netcdf-4.1.2 on cygwin, without fortran and c++ as they
> are broken compared
> to the previous 4.1.1, and I was surprised to see that
> the outcome dll is now cygnetcdf-7.dll instead of cygnetcdf-6.dll of 4.1.1
>
> Have you made a abi bump between 4.1.1 and 4.1.2 ? If so should be
> better to change
> the release number ? Between 4.1.1 and 4.1.2 I would expect minor
> changes and bug fixes only.

Howdy Marco,

The library ABI number went up because we changed the main API (by
adding the nc_inq_path function.)

We did not change the library version number to 4.3 because this was
such a minor addition.

In general, the ABI version has nothing to do with the version number of
the package.

Thanks,

Ed

PS - 4.1.3 will have correct DLL building for Fortran 77 and C++ APIs
under cygwin.

--
Ed Hartnett  -- ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx