[netcdfgroup] Extracting data from NetCDF

Dear netcdfgroup community

I'm trying to extract some data from a netcdf file I have. The file has various dimensions & variables, these being (hereby summarized):

dimensions:
        time = 216 ;  (note: these are the number of months)
        depth = 1 ;
        lat = 60 ;
        lon = 97 ;

variables:
        float time(time) ;
        float depth(depth) ;
        float lat(lat) ;
        float lon(lon) ;
        float u(time, depth, lat, lon) ;
        float v(time, depth, lat, lon) ;

I'm a bit confused... how can I specifically extract the data for the "u" variable specifically for time #3 (e.g.: month 3) in ascii format? I'm confused on how to do this... I've been trying ncdump, but haven't quite made it work. Currently, I'm using netcdf v3.5.0.

Any thoughts on this would be very helpful. Thanks!

                     Lucas