Re: [netcdfgroup] Extracting data from NetCDF

You should probably do this with one of the Netcdf tool applications.

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf-tutorial.html#Tools
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/software.html

If you do not need the ascii output formatted into columns, then you can extract the desired subset into a separate Netcdf file with one NCO command. Then use ncdump to print that file as ascii CSV.

NCL can read Netcdf, get the desired subset, and output formatted ascii with only a few script commands. There is a learning curve for the script language.

There are plenty of other alternatives. Perhaps you should take inventory of which Netcdf tools are already on your computer system.

You can also use the Netcdf API interfaces directly from C, Fortran, and Java, if that seems better for what you want to do. See the Netcdf tutorial for more details. In particular, the examples for "pres_temp_4D" show how to read a Netcdf variable of the same dimensionality as your data. You then just subscript as needed, and add formatted write commands.

Also, if you are just reading the ascii result into another software package, check the documentation and available extensions carefully before putting your energy into making an ascii file. Many numeric processing applications now have the ability to read Netcdf files and subsets directly. HTH.

--Dave