[netcdfgroup] netcdf 4.1.2 opendap url with authentication fails

I have built netcdf4.1.2 with dap support, and verified that it works with a url not requiring authentication, e.g.

ncdump -h http://apdrc.soest.hawaii.edu:80/dods/public_data/CSIRO_Atlas/cars2000

However, if I try to access a location requiring authentication by embedding the username and password in the url, it fails. I have verified that the username and password are being parsed correctly (and that this url works from Firefox), and that they are being stripped from the url, so it appears that at some later stage they are not being used correctly to obtain authentication.

My conclusion is that opendap access via netcdf 4.1.2 (also tried 4.1.1) is simply broken in the case where authentication is needed. Am I wrong? Or is this a known problem?

Eric