Re: [netcdfgroup] trouble with netcdf-4.1.2-rc1 + hdf5-1.8.6 combo

Dan Kokron <daniel.kokron@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> Of course a sample program would be useful.  I'd like to give one to
> you, but I need to narrow things down more.  I already have the works
> and doesn't work brackets.  No need to widen the gap with a newer
> release unless the newer release specifically targets this particular
> problem.  Is it safe to use these combos?
>
> 1) hdf5-1.8.6 with netcdf-4.1.1

NetCDF-4.1.1 goes with 1.8.5-patch1.

> 2) hdf5-1.8.5-patch1 with netcdf-4.1.2-rc1

This is not safe since we have released a full-up 4.1.2 release since
then, and HDF5 also released a new release since then. The safe thing is
always to use the new releases, because they both have important fixes
and improvements.

To help track down a bug, it is really most helpful if you see if it is
already fixed in the daily snapshot release. Testing against old
releases does not tell us as much.

It is not always obvious what faults will be caused by a software
flaw. If you isolate it to a test case, the first thing I will do is run
it against the daily snapshot. ;-)

Another benefit of testing on the daily snapshot is that our fixes, if
any, will be reflected in the next daily snapshot, allowing you to
immediately try them out to make sure they really address your problem.

You can get the snapshot here:
ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-4-daily.tar.gz

Note that the build procedure has changed. Set CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS
instead of using the --with-hdf5 option. For the new, simplified, build
instructions, see here:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs_beta/netcdf-install.html#Quick-Instructions

Thanks,

Ed