[netcdfgroup] update on windows DLLs for netCDF

Howdy all!

Here's an update on the DLL saga...

The latest snapshot (and the upcoming 4.1.3 release) builds the C and
C++ DLLs using a mingw32 cross-compile, without fortran or the remote
data access (DAP) client.

This is done without using windows. I was never able to sufficiently
automate the building of the daily snapshot on a windows/cygwin system,
so I moved to Linux/mingw32/wine. It works a lot better, and now the
DLLs are built and tested every night.

The resulting DLLs work well with visual studio, after a visual studio
import library (*.lib file) is built. This can be easily done with the
visual studio LIB.EXE program, using the .def file that comes with the
netCDF DLL daily zip file:
ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/snapshot/netcdf4_dlls_snapshot.zip

A reasonably recent version of the release, with the visual studio
import library for the C API already built and included, can be found
here: ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/snapshot/netcdf4_dlls_vs.zip

In all cases the HDF5 DLLs must first be installed. The HDF5 DLLs come
with (and require) the zlib and szlib DLLs. Get the HDF5 DLLs from the
HDF5 web site.

Next steps include getting the remote access client working, and getting
the Fortran DLLs working.

One way to assist this effort would be to get the DLLs and give them a
try in your Windows application.

Thanks,

Ed

--