Re: [netcdfgroup] filename suffix for netCDF-4 files?

> Russ,
>  Thanks for the recommendation.  Have you run into any cases where
>  users have gotten a '.nc' file, but complained because a netCDF-3
>  tool they are using cannot open the netCDF-4 file?

I'm sure we've gotten a few questions and complaints, but tools in the
current release handle both netCDF-3 and netCDF-4 files, and we would
recommend recompiling/relinking the tool with the current version of the
library.  If the netCDF-4 file uses the classic data model, that fixes
the problem.  If the netCDF-4 file uses new features of the enhanced
data model, modifications to software linked to an older netCDF-3
library will be required.

We've publicly committed to maintaining API and format compatibility
going forward:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/workshops/2010/netcdf4/Compatibility.html

--Russ