Re: [netcdfgroup] Whether or not unlimited dimensions affect access performance?

  • To: chris wen <chriswen11@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [netcdfgroup] Whether or not unlimited dimensions affect access performance?
  • From: Russ Rew <russ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 09:36:24 -0600
Chris,

> Since I met some access performance problem, I need to know the details of
> my netcdf file.
>
> Is it possible to display compression level and chunk size by some existing
> tools?
> Since the file that I use is not generated by me, I need to check those very
> detailed information.

Yes, use the "-s" option of the ncdump utility.

  -s  Output special virtual attributes that provide performance-related
      information about the file format and variable properties for
      netCDF-4 data.  These special virtual attributes are not actually
      part of the data, they are merely a convenient way to display
      miscellaneous properties of the data in CDL.  They include
      `_ChunkSizes', `_DeflateLevel', `_Endianness', `_Fletcher32',
      `_Format', `_NoFill', `_Shuffle', and `_Storage'. ...

--Russ