[netcdfgroup] Contraditory change from NetCDF 4.1.3-beta1

I’ve just read in the NetCDF’s release notes the following, for the 4.1.3-beta1
version from 2011-04-29:

“Took out --with-hdf5 and related options due to high
cost of maintaining this non-standard way of finding
libraries.”

Now, to the facts:
1. this option forces people with custom HDF5 libraries to manually change
CFLAGS, FCFLAGS and LDFLAGS in compile time.
2. NetCDF 4.1.3 requires HDF5 1.8.6
3. Current linux distros comes with just HDF5 1.8.4

Result: You removed the option to select HDF libraries when it would be most
needed as everyone is needing to install custom HDF5 library on their computer.
This makes people lifes a lot harder, you know? I am planning on shipping
NetCDF and HDF5 as nested packages with a project we are doing due to excessive
compile problems, and we will be forced to add back AC_WITH_ARG for HDF5 in
NetCDF provided package, in order for it to work in accordance with the main
package’s arguments.

And, why did you call the AC_ARG_WITH option a non-standard way to find
libraries? I thought it was a standartizing attempt from GNU autotools to aid
in linking to packages...

- fabricio