Re: [netcdfgroup] easiest way to add an attribute to a variable in a netCDF file?

You could use NetCDF Tools UI:
   http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/v2.2/webstart-dev/
I think it also comes with THREDDS server (you can check by going to the services page of any dataset). It will launch itself with webstart. After opening, click on NcML tab, open the netcdf file. You will see NcML representation of the netCDF file. Edit it or add new attributes and click on "Write netCDF" button(the ring) and save it as a separate file or overwrite existing file.
You can also find a demo of Tools UI here:
  http://geo-ide.noaa.gov/access.html

Upendra