From: netcdfgroup-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:netcdfgroup-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Wei Huang
Sent: 19 September 2011 17:28
To: netcdfgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [netcdfgroup] NetCDF4 Parallel-enabled IO performance issue

Hi, netcdfgroup,

Currently, we are trying to use parallel-enabled NetCDF4. We started
with read/write a 5G file and some computation, we got the following
timing (in wall-clock) on a IBM power machine:
Number of Processors    Total(seconds)  read(seconds)   Write(seconds)
Computation(seconds)
seq                                     89.137          28.206
48.327          11.717
1                                       178.953         44.837
121.17          11.644
2                                       167.25          46.571
113.343         5.648
4                                       168.138         44.043
118.968         2.729
8                                       137.74          25.161
108.986         1.064
16                                      113.354         16.359
93.253          0.494
32                                      439.481         122.201
311.215         0.274
64                                      831.896         277.363
588.653         0.203

First thing we can see is that when run parallel-enabled code at one
processor, the total wall-clok time doubled. Then we did not see the
scaling when more processors added.

Anyone wants to share their experience?

Thanks,

Wei Huang