Re: [netcdfgroup] Configure error with PGI: Could not compile conftest.c

Stefano Ionescu-Niscov <stefano.ionescu-niscov@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if this problem has been fixed yet. I am experiencing the same
> message when trying to build Netcdf binaries with the PGI compilers on a
> Linux Red Hat 6.1 64 bit machine. If you have a fix please share.
>
> Stefano
>
> --

The problem reported at that web address could be just about
anything. If configure ends like this:

checking for Fortran "byte"... yes
checking for Fortran "integer*2"... yes
checking if Fortran "byte" is C "signed char"... configure: error: Could
not compile conftest.c

That means that your fortran and C compiler are not working together for
some reason (they can't compile a simple test program).

Look in the file config.log for this error output, and you will see the
attempt to invoke the fortran compiler, and there will be some kind of
error message telling you what went wrong. Until you sort out the
problems with your fortran compiler, netCDF cannot compile.

Problems could include:

* Missing or broken installation of fortran or C compiler.

* Improper licensing for commercial compilers, which will then refuse to
  work.

* Fortran is trying to build 64-bit, and C compiler 32, by default (or
  vice versa). They must be the same (set CFLAGS and/or FFLAGS to make
  them the same).

* Something else...

Good luck,

Ed