[netcdfgroup] Bad config.h file with mingw/msys

I am trying to build netcdf 4.1.3 under mingw using msys (32-bit XP).  I am
using the following configure settings:

--disable-netcdf-4 --disable-fortran --disable-cxx --disable-largefile
--disable-examples

After configure runs, make will error out because the config.h file is bad.
It only has #undefs in it.

I looked at the confdefs.h file and it looked okay (before it was removed).
But the resulting config.h file is not so good.

I have tried enabling/disabling other switches (e.g. dap, shared, static,
etc.), but the result is always the same.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

-jim