Re: [netcdfgroup] Detection of curl by configure in 4.1.3

As you know, 4.1.3 no longer searches
for any of the required libraries
(libhdf, zlib, etc.). Instead they
are specified using environment variables (e.g. LIBS).
For consistency, libcurl is also treated
the same way and must be specified like any other
library. BTW, I assume that you are not using libhdf
since you have to specify it as well.
=Dennis Heimbigner
 Unidata

Arlindo da Silva wrote:
Hi,

It appears that going from NetCDF 4.1.1 to 4.1.3 (I skipped 4.1.2) configure no longer makes use of curl-config to detect the presence of libcurl. The current scheme in 4.1.3 is not very reliable and can fail when curl is built statically (and a whole of set of other libraries besides -lcurl must be specified.) Of course, a work around is to first set

% export LIBS="`/path/to/curl-config --libs`"

before issuing configure, but really, this should be handled in configure.ac <http://configure.ac>, specially when INSTALL makes you believe that curl-config is used.

  Am I missing something?

    Arlindo