[netcdfgroup] netCDF plans

Hi,

By now you've probably heard that Ed Hartnett, Unidata's primary
software engineer for netCDF, has left Unidata for another position:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/blogs/news/entry/farewell_to_ed_hartnett

We're very sorry to see Ed go, as he will leave big shoes to fill (US
size 14, Euro size 48, Japan size 31, ... :-) ).  Ed was responsible for
developing netCDF-4, incorporating parallel I/O, software testing and
release management, running the netCDF training workshops, responding to
difficult mailing list and support questions, and developing libCF and
GRIDSPEC libraries.

We've drafted a position description, awaiting approval before posting,
to recruit another software engineer for netCDF and related work at
Unidata.  The new position will emphasize what we feel are the highest
priorities for continued advances in scientific data access
infrastructure.  In the next week or two, the new position description
will appear in:

  http://ucar.silkroad.com/epostings/

under the "Computing" Current Job Openings link, and we'll notify the
mailing list when that happens.

Although our response to support and netcdfgroup mailing-list questions
and our release schedule may slow until we complete the hiring process,
be assured that Unidata is committed to continue to support and advance
netCDF and related software and standards for accessing scientific data.

We're looking for an exceptional individual to join the netCDF team.  If
you are such a person, or know of one, please pass news of this fabulous
opportunity to them.  But that's not all!  We also have a free gift for
anyone who, oh never mind.

Thanks, and keep on netCDFing!

--Russ Rew
--John Caron