Re: [netcdfgroup] HDF5-1.8.8

[[Please fix your subject line]]

Ken et al,

My IT team also got a successful build of netCDF 4.1.3 with HDF-1.8.8 on Mac Pro with OS X 10.7.2. We did *not* get any conversion test failures like you did.

This may be related to GCC version. We used GCC 4.5.3 from Mac Ports, not Apple default which is older, not 4.6.*. This may be a reasonable workaround. What C compiler are you using?

mac27:/usr/local/src/hdf5-1.8.8 78> \
? grep gcc- install.gfortran
compiler 'gcc' is GNU gcc-4.5.3

mac27:/usr/local/src/hdf5-1.8.8 79> \
? grep -e 'hard.*long double.*char' install.gfortran
Testing hard normalized long double -> signed char conversions PASSED
Testing hard normalized long double -> unsigned char conversions PASSED
Testing hard denormalized long double -> signed char conversions PASSED
Testing hard denormalized long double -> unsigned char conversions PASSED
Testing hard special long double -> signed char conversions PASSED
Testing hard special long double -> unsigned char conversions PASSED

Note there is a high priority bug, maybe related to GCC version, currently being addressed by the HDF group. The symptoms are similar to yours.

http://mail.hdfgroup.org/pipermail/hdf-forum_hdfgroup.org/2011-November/005314.html

--Dave