[netcdfgroup] NetCDF performance change

Hello

I use NetCDF on a number of different Linux machines. My personal
workstation I normally keep up to date with the newest version of NetCDF
(4.1.3 and 4.2 for Fortran).

A standard test case I'm using shows a CPU-utilisation of about 50% on
one core - if I switch off saving during the simulation I get my 100%
back.

Now on a different machine I can get my - very close to - 100% also in
the case when I do saving. The size of the output file is only about
55MB and the model runs is like 30 seconds on the machine with full CPU
utilisation.

I know it might no be the fault of NetCDF. On my work station I've
Ubuntu 11.10 installed - but on the production machine I've Debian Sid
(not updated for a long time).

Anybody else experiencing problems with NetCDF performance - or shall I
blame it on Ubuntu :-)

Karsten

Karsten Bolding                    Bolding & Burchard ApS
Strandgyden 25                     Phone: +45 64422058
DK-5466 Asperup                    Fax:   +45 64422068
Denmark                            Email: karsten@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.findvej.dk/Strandgyden25,5466,11,3

Q: What is irony?
A: Almost the same as goldy and bronzy - just made of iron ...