Re: [netcdfgroup] Install documentation for netCDF-Fortran version 4.2

Hi Russ.

Thank you for this helpful summary for installing netCDF-Fortran
version 4.2.  A minor difference was that I did not use sudo because I
am on a managed computer network with no sudo permission.  So instead
I used a non-standard location via --prefix.  With that, plain "make
install" worked fine.

Another minor difference is that I am using -L on the compile line for
applications, rather than using the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH environment
variable.  My understanding is that either linkage method is valid on
Mac OS.

I would like to report successful build and application testing of the
netCDF-Fortran v4.2 with core library netCDF-4.2-rc1.  Once I figured
out what the heck I was doing, everything went smoothly.  Here are the
particular components and options that I used:

Platform = Mac OS 10.6.8 on Intel Mac
netCDF4 API is enabled (by default)
OpenDAP is disabled (for simplicity)
netCDF C++ API was not added

C compiler = gcc 4.5.2
Fortran compiler = gfortran 4.5.2
HDF5 version 1.8.8 (without the fortran interface)
ZLIB version 1.2.5
SZIP not included

Also I used shared libraries rather than static for all components,
and for linking my application programs.  Static would probably also
work; I just did not test this.

--Dave