Re: [netcdfgroup] 4.2-rc1, ncgen, _Format attribute

  • To: Jim Cowie <cowie@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [netcdfgroup] 4.2-rc1, ncgen, _Format attribute
  • From: Dennis Heimbigner <dmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 20:06:36 -0700
Jim-
Unfortunately, ncgen has always treated
the no flags case as being just a syntax
check. I agree with your intent, but
we are captives of history and back compatability.

=Dennis Heimbigner
 Unidata

Jim Cowie wrote:
Hi,

I built netcdf-4.2-rc1 and I was not able to create a file using ncgen unless I included the '-k kind' option. With this option omitted, nothing happens.

I hope this is not intentional because it would be a step in the wrong direction. My goal is to *never* use the -k option, but rather to use the _Format attribute within the CDL to define the output file type at run-time. Based on earlier discussions I've had with Unidata, and some documentation I've seen, this was the intent of the _Format attribute. Using -k would override what is in the CDL. Now I'm not sure what to think.

Thanks ...

Jim Cowie