[netcdfgroup] API for removing data variables?

I have a usecase which seems most easily satisfied by taking a netCDF
(classic) file and ripping out all but one data variable, before
adding a few layers to that datavar, and writing to a new file. (All
the data variables share the same coordinate variables and their
values, which are just integer indices.) However I'm not seeing tool
support for *removing* data (or other) variables. This may be because
I'm not very experienced--am I missing something? Note my platform is
linux, and by "tool support" I mean either something I can either run
commandline (e.g., NCO) or from a shell-like environment (e.g., the
python or R REPLs).

TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@xxxxxxxxx>