Re: [netcdfgroup] API for removing data variables?

ncdf4.pdf (formatted by me)
>>> to WRITE data to a new netCDF file, the procedure is to

>>> 1 define the dimensions your data array has

>>> 2 define the [data] variable

>>> 3 create the file.

Tom Roche Sun, 05 Feb 2012 20:41:37 -0500
>> plus copy the data to the variable, plus copy additional
>> attributes. Which a priori feels more difficult than

>> 1 copy the file using system tools (e.g., `cp`)
>> 2 remove undesired data variables from the copy

Charlie Zender Sun, 05 Feb 2012 12:23:03 -0800
> ncks -O -v var_name in.nc out.nc

> puts only var_name (and associated coordinates) in the output file

*and* attributes!

http://nco.sourceforge.net/nco.html#ncks-netCDF-Kitchen-Sink

That should simplify my R script: I can just

system('ncks -O -v var_name foo bar')
bar.file <- nc_open(...)
datavar <- ncvar_get(...)
fiddle(datavar)