[netcdfgroup] netCDF tidy?

Is there a tool to verify the correctness of the structure of a netCDF file, à
la what `tidy` does for HTML? Why I ask:

I'm using NCO and R to manipulate and display my netCDF files (actually IOAPI
files, to be completely correct). Most of my group uses Fortran and the display
tool `verdi`. (We're all on linux.) I have a file on which I've used R
(up-to-date, with package=ncdf4) and NCO (also up-to-date), which are both
happy with it. However, when I try to open it as a dataset with verdi, I get

> java.lang.NullPointerException
>       at
> ucar.nc2.dataset.conv.M3IOConvention.makeZCoordAxis(M3IOConvention.java:180)
>       at
> ucar.nc2.dataset.conv.M3IOConvention.constructCoordAxes(M3IOConvention.java:143)
>       at
> ucar.nc2.dataset.conv.M3IOConvention.augmentDataset(M3IOConvention.java:85)
>       at ucar.nc2.dataset.NetcdfDataset.enhance(NetcdfDataset.java:465)
>       at ucar.nc2.dataset.NetcdfDataset.<init>(NetcdfDataset.java:1165)
>       at ucar.nc2.dataset.NetcdfDataset.openDataset(NetcdfDataset.java:440)
>       at ucar.nc2.dataset.NetcdfDataset.acquireDataset(NetcdfDataset.java:527)
>       at ucar.nc2.dt.grid.GridDataset.open(GridDataset.java:103)
>       at ucar.nc2.dt.grid.GridDataset.open(GridDataset.java:89)
>       at
> anl.verdi.loaders.NetcdfDatasetFactory.openDataset(NetcdfDatasetFactory.java:185)
>       at
> anl.verdi.loaders.NetcdfDatasetFactory.createModels3Datasets(NetcdfDatasetFactory.java:81)
>       at anl.verdi.loaders.Models3Loader.createDatasets(Models3Loader.java:82)
>       at anl.verdi.data.DataManager.createDatasets(DataManager.java:99)
>       at
> anl.verdi.core.VerdiApplication.loadDataset(VerdiApplication.java:556)
>       at anl.verdi.core.VerdiApplication.addDataset(VerdiApplication.java:609)
>       at
> anl.verdi.core.VerdiAppConfigurator$1.actionPerformed(VerdiAppConfigurator.java:63)

(Before that is all AWT.) I suspect verdi is choking because, while the data is
4D, one of the dimensions is non-spatial (the "layers" correspond to different
crops on the surface, not vertical layers), and that verdi doesn't handle that
gracefully. But I'd like to verify the correctness of my file before I engage
their bugtracker. Is there a way to do that?

TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@xxxxxxxxx>