[netcdfgroup] NetCDF Port using MinGW: Native Windows 64 bit (and 32 bit) DLL

Dear all,

I am basically re-posting my original message sent to netcdf-porting as Russ Rew supported this idea. Thank you Russ for adding the link to the netCDF FAQ.

In short: The NetCDF library version 4.1.3 does compile under both 32 and 64 bit Windows using MinGW and MinGW-w64 and does successfully pass all standard tests included in the source code distribution; ‘make check’ output of both 32 and 64 bit is available through the http link below. The changes to the original source code are minimal and can be performed in a semi-automatic mode.

The port has a rather minimalistic configuration that does not include: Fortran and C++ interfaces (just only C), hdf5 (aka netcdf-4), old version 2 of the API, and DAP. Both the NetCDF classic format and the 64-bit offset format are fully supported.

There is hope that the suggested porting approach can be used to compile a full-fledged version, including the newly released NetCDF 4.2 from which I originally started, but as it was not yet released that time, I switched back to 4.1.3.

Here is the documentation including the download links I prepared for those
interested:
http://iiasa.ac.at/~khabarov/netcdf-win64-and-win32-mingw/

Best regards,
Nikolay

--
Dr. Nikolay Khabarov
Ecosystems Services and Management Program