[netcdfgroup] Win64 / Intel -i8 build of Netcdf-fortran-4.2

All,

Previously on the list:

Ø  Version 4.4-beta1 is the first release to support the Fortran 2003
standard for calling C code from Fortran. It is used in this new release to
replace the older C code wrappers.

I would like to suggest that the ?old style? not be completely deprecated.
We support a number of operating systems where we will not have Fortran 2003
language support.  (Yes I am certainly aware of the GNU project, but that is
NOT an option for producing commercial products anywhere but Linux.)

I am happy to report we have successfully built netcdf-fortran-4.2 for x64
where NF_INTEGER is 64-bit.  I have a set of proposed changes I would like
to submit for review.  Here is a short list of issues:

[1] Modified cfortran.h for direct support of ?intelVisualFortran?.

[2] Split EXTERNL into NC_EXTERNL and NF_EXTERNL to properly handle DLL
import/export.

[3] ncfortran.h: Expanded to support NF_INT_IS_C_LONGLONG, NF_INTEGER8, and
_int64 cfortran macros.

[4] fort-nc4.c: Used _int64 cfortran macros for the Fortran/C interface.

[5] Added support for NF_INT_IS_C_LONGLONG everywhere to call the
nc_...longlong variants.

This requires NO changes to the C lib (with the exception of the shared
?config.h? and ?nfconfig.inc?).  All changes hinge on the fact that
?Integer*8 == long long?.  These changes should be easy to follow and
completely safe, since they only come into play when nfconfig.inc defines
NF_INT_IS_C_LONGLONG.

Could the person handling the Fortran library please get in touch with me?
I would like to submit these changes and ask they be included in future
releases.

Regards,

Roy Dennington

Semichem, Inc.