[netcdfgroup] ncdump mismatch between 4.2 and 4.2.1

testing octcdf (netcdf interface for octave)
we noticed that 4.2.1 is complaining about the format of this file

$ ncdump -k http://hycom.coaps.fsu.edu/thredds/dodsC/atl_ops
classic
NetCDF: One or more variable sizes violate format constraints
Location: file /pub/devel/netcdf/netcdf-4.2.1-1/src/netcdf-4.2.1/ncdump/ncdump.c; line 2509

while for previous 4.2

$ ncdump -k http://hycom.coaps.fsu.edu/thredds/dodsC/atl_ops
classic

the file format is fine.

Could someone cross check and let us know which version is wrong ?
We had the same results on Red Hat 6.2 x86_64, Mingw and Cygwin,
so it should not be a specific build problem.

Regards
Marco