[netcdfgroup] better to distribute data in netCDF-4/classic or netcdf-3?

Our refactored visualization system, Giovanni, will be distributing
intermediate and end products as netCDF.

My question to the community is:  should we distribute in netCDF-3 or
netCDF-4/classic?
Are enough of the main netCDF tools updated to work with netCDF-4 / classic by
now to make the switch?
Or any other reason why we might want to hang back at netCDF-3?
--
Dr. Christopher Lynnes     NASA/GSFC, Code 610.2    phone: 301-614-5185