Re: [netcdfgroup] [ncdf4] error converting GEIA data to netCDF

Tom Roche Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 4:23 PM
>> Can ncdf4 be made to fail more helpfully? E.g., to fail immediately
>> on nc_open without assignment?

David W. Pierce Tue, 28 Aug 2012 13:23:53 -0700
> I'll see if there exists some way to do a better check for this.

TIA.

> One of the many great things about users: they provide opportunities
> to add in more explanatory text for errors you never would have
> thought of. :)

Oh, it's worse than that :-) Drawing on my career (and many colleagues')
as a producer and consumer of software, I have come to formulate
Roche's 3 Laws of Software Adoption:

1, A software project becomes alive when it has some community of users.

2. If the intelligence of individual users can always be quantified,
   there is some PDF characterizing the collective intelligence
   of the project's users at every point in its life.

3. At any time t when that project's user community is increasing,
   new users tend to add to the LHS of the intelligence PDF at t.

(OK, 2 definitions and 1 law :-) FWIW, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@xxxxxxxxx>