Re: [netcdfgroup] If a compressed dataset is on a THREDDS server, where is the uncompression done?

Correct, thanks Roy.

Anything thats part of the file format is handled on the server. Standard HTTP deflate (zip) compression is used to send data across the wire, if client allows. the ncstream protocol is experimenting with more complicated schemes, but is not ready for general use.

Figuring out optimal chunking in netcdf4 is now the right game to play. It depends on the subset request, so you want to optimize your common requests.

the netcdf group would welcome user experience reports and timings. posting to this list lets us all mull over the issues.

thanks!

John