[netcdfgroup] NetCDF C++ libraries can not access files that ncdump can

Hello everyone. This is a follow up post to an earlier post called
"Segmentation fault on NcFile open".
I now realize that the NetCDF C++ library can not open HDF files (at least
of the find I want to open, containing MERRA data which I've learned is
stored in something called HDF-EOS format). This was the reason that I was
getting segfaults when I try to open a particular file type.

My question today is simply why will this not work, when I have no apparent
problem viewing or dumping the contents of these files using the cmd line
'ncdump' utility?

In the meantime I'm attempting to correct my problem by augmenting the
HDF-EOS files <http://hdfeos.org/software/aug_hdfeos5.php> so that NetCDF
will read them.

Thank you!
Taylor