Re: [netcdfgroup] Segmentation fault on NcFile open

Taylor,
  If you are just trying to learn how to use the NetCDF C++ library, then Corey
is right, MERRA in its original HDF-4 format is not going to do the trick, even
with augmenting which is meant for HDF-5, not MERRA's HDF-4 format.  (However,
I believe the NetCDF-Java library CAN read it--adds to the confusion a bit I
agree, but also makes for some nice behavior in tools like Panoply.)  Our data
center does have some HDF5/HDF-EOS5 data you can play with along those lines,
such as Ozone Monitoring Instrument data
(http://mirador.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/mirador/presentNavigation.pl?tree=project&project=OMI).
  HOWEVER, if your main interest is in using the MERRA data via the NetCDF C++
library, then you have a multitude of options.  The MERRA data are available
through two OPeNDAP servers (Hyrax and GDS), which should be readable by the
netCDF library over the network via OPeNDAP.  If that does not work for you,
then there is also on-the-fly conversion to netCDF at
http://disc.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/daac-bin/FTPSubset.pl.
  If you have any problems working with these resources, please contact our
help desk at gsfc-help-disc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.