Re: [netcdfgroup] Segmentation fault on NcFile open

Thank you all for your help!

Christopher: I am aware of the OPeNDAP servers, and you're right, that's
actually the direction I'm trying to head in. In fact, I've been in contact
with Dana about data access options before, since I'm looking to subset the
data in a different way than the online tool allows.

I would very much have liked to stick with this option, but I have found
that the HDF files available on the OPeNDAP servers (and even the *.nc
files that can be downloaded by specifying the NetCDF option for the online
subsetting tool that you mentioned) can not be opened by the NetCDF c++
libraries. Actually this was the problem that I first encountered,
prompting me to start this thread (you can see the error that I received at
the top of this thread), and I thought that I was told that I would not
actually be able to open these files using only NetCDF4. It also appears
that the augmentation tool, recommended earlier, will not work since it is
designed only to augment HDFEOS5 files (not HDFEOS4, which is what MERRA
is, except for the small java exception that you spoke of Chris).

So is it unexpected that I am not able to open MERRA HDF files, obtained
through the official OPeNDAP URLs, using the stock NetCDF4 C++ legacy
libraries? This sort of brings me back to my first post. Thank you in
advance!!

Taylor