Re: [netcdfgroup] Segmentation fault on NcFile open

Hi Taylor:

> So is it unexpected that I am not able to open MERRA HDF files, obtained
> through the official OPeNDAP URLs, using the stock NetCDF4 C++ legacy
> libraries? This sort of brings me back to my first post. Thank you in
> advance!!

Not exactly.  If i remember your first post, you got an error trying to open an
hdf file with the NetCDF4 C++ libraries.  If you had gotten it from opendap,
then it wouldn't be an  hdf file.  Moreover, there is the option to access the
OpeNDAP server directly from the NetCDF library,  which is what people have
been trying to tell you.

But even so, you need to step back a little bit, and any time you claim that
there was an error, you need to carefully describe the steps you took, and some
way for someone else to reproduce the error.  In the case of the OPeNDAP
server, what was the URL of the server, how did you form the subset, since
returning a netcdf file, rather than an OpeNDAP binary is non-standard
behavior, how was this accomplished, and can you make the file that was
actually downloaded from OpeNDAP available for people to look at.  Otherwise,
as you have seen, it leaves people grasping at
straws and  answers that go around in circles.

If this had been r-help, you would have been flamed without mercy. But the
r-help posting guide  (http://www.r-project.org/posting-guide.html)  has a lot
of good suggestions, the most important being including a reproducible example.

Thanks,

-Roy

**********************
"The contents of this message do not reflect any position of the U.S.
Government or NOAA."
**********************
Roy Mendelssohn
Supervisory Operations Research Analyst