[netcdfgroup] Reading MERRA HDF-EOS data with NetCDF C++ libraries

Hello (again),
I have netcdf-4.2.1-13.2 libraries installed on my openSUSE 12.1 machine. I
am trying to open a MERRA data file from within a C++ program, using
OPeNDAP.

A sample test.cpp program is below, which I compile using g++ test.cpp
-lnetcdf_c++ ,

#include<iostream>
#include<netcdfcpp.h>
int main()
{
   NcFile dataFile ("
http://goldsmr2.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/opendap/MERRA/MAT1NXSLV.5.2.0/1979/01/MERRA100.prod.assim.tavg1_2d_slv_Nx.19790101.hdf";,
NcFile::ReadOnly);

   if(!dataFile.is_valid()){
      cout << "Failed" << endl;
      return 2;}
   cout << "Okay" << endl;
   return 0;
}

returns "Failed". Opening the local file
MERRA100.prod.assim.tavg1_2d_slv_Nx.19790101.hdf.nc (obtained by converting
to *.nc from the same OPeNDAP server, as was recommended to me in this
post:
https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/mailing_lists/archives/netcdfgroup/2013/msg00008.html)
returns "Okay". Material here (
http://www.hdfeos.org/workshops/ws13/presentations/day3/PRACTICAL_METHODS_FOR_MAKING_HDF_DATA_USABLE.pdf,
beginning on page 24) leads me to believe that I simply can not use NetCDF
libraries to open MERRA files with OPeNDAP.

How, if possible, can I modify test.cpp to remotely open a MERRA data file,
without having to first download it to my computer? Thank you for any help.

P.S. Please do not think that I have ignored earlier replies (I appreciate
them!), I've spent quite a lot of time on this recently.

--
Taylor Binnington
e. tbinnington@xxxxxxxxx