Re: [netcdfgroup] HDF5

Hi Roy,

> The HDF Group just released  a new version of HDF5, so this raises the questi
> ons:
>
> 1) What is the latest version of HDF5 that is believed works with netcdf4?
>
> 2). What is the recommended version of HDF5 for netcdf4?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Roy
>
> PS - One thing that would be helpful is when HDF releases a new version, some
> thing is said if it is known or not known if netcdf4 will work with the new r
> elease.

Good questions!

We have a collaborative arrangement with THG under which they run
nightly tests of our svn trunk against their release candidates, and
inform us if there is a failing test that persists for several days.
When we learn of this, we diagnose the problem and get the tests working
again.  As a result, we're fairly confident that our release candidates
will work with new HDF5 releases when they're announced.

We know that our latest C release, 4.2.1.1, works with HDF5-1.8.9 and
HDF5-1.8.10, and we know that our svn trunk, which will become a release
candidate for netCDF 4.3.0 works with HDF5 1.8.10-patch1, where "works"
is defined in terms of the nightly tests run by the HDF5 group.  We'll
run our own tests against the current release of HDF5 before any
release, with the intention of making sure the tests pass with the
latest version of HDF5.

--Russ