Re: [netcdfgroup] Mac OS X with Intel Fortran compiler make error

  • To: Roy Dennington <roy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [netcdfgroup] Mac OS X with Intel Fortran compiler make error
  • From: Dennis Heimbigner <dmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 13:22:14 -0700
I have been pushing to drop the whole
upper case MOD mechanism from the
Makefile.am/configure.
My assumption was that there no longer
existed any fortran compilers that needed it.

Does this discussion mean that my assumption was
wrong for OSX?

=Dennis Heimbigner
 Unidata

Roy Dennington wrote:
Dave,

Thank you for the info.  Your comments shed some light on the problem.  I
think it may be related to the special case of having a Mac OS X system that
is configured "case sensitive".  I think the problems are related, but the
issue may be a bug in Makefile.am.  Since I am not sure what is intended,
perhaps a few questions about Makefile.am are in order:

[1] Is the UPPER_CASE_MOD branch intended only for systems that are
case-insensitive?
[2] Are the UCHEADERS mod files intended only for such systems, or are they
supposed to be written on every system?

In Makefile.am on my system, some of the UPPER_CASE_MOD code is commented
out, and UPPER_CASE_MOD is false.  I suspect that on case-sensitive systems,
the resulting Makefile should not copy the mod files to upper case.  I think
the following block needs to be wrapped:

if UPPER_CASE_MOD
$(UCHEADERS): $(LCHEADERS)
    for lc in $(LCHEADERS) ; do \
    uc="$${lc%%.mod}" ; \
    uc=`echo $$uc | tr 'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz'
'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ'`; \
        uc="$${uc}.mod" ; rm -f $$uc ; cp $$lc $$uc ; \
    done
endif UPPER_CASE_MOD

This block actually gets executed five times (without the wrap).  It would
seem it would be better to write individual rules for each mod file.  For
example,
NETCDF_NC_DATA.mod: module_netcdf_nc_data.mod
        cp -fp module_netcdf_nc_data.mod NETCDF_NC_DATA.mod

I haven't tried it, so it is just a thought.  I could easily be wrong.  I am
certainly not an expert on makefiles.

One other problem.  BUILT_SOURCES also needs to be wrapped:

if UPPER_CASE_MOD
COMMONHEADERS = $(UCHEADERS) $(UCCOMMON)
BUILT_SOURCES += $(UCHEADERS) $(UCCOMMON) $(LCHEADERS) $(LCCOMMON)
else !UPPER_CASE_MOD
COMMONHEADERS = $(LCHEADERS) $(LCCOMMON)
BUILT_SOURCES += $(LCHEADERS) $(LCCOMMON)
endif !UPPER_CASE_MOD

By making these changes, UCHEADERS and UCCOMMON become inactive when
UPPER_CASE_MOD is false.  I attached my Makefile.am.  Note, I do not know
under what conditions UPPER_CASE_MOD would be true, so I have no way to
test.

Thanks for your help,
Roy