Re: [netcdfgroup] How to find the full dimension names (pathswithgroups) for a variable?

  • To: "Pedro Vicente" <pvicente@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [netcdfgroup] How to find the full dimension names (pathswithgroups) for a variable?
  • From: Russ Rew <russ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2013 05:27:09 -0700
Hi Pedro,

You're right that it would be useful to have additional public netCDF
functions to make it easy to get the absolute netCDF name from a
dimension ID and the reverse.

There is code for this in the source for ncdump and nccopy.  The ncdump
utility outputs the absolute dimension name when there is an ambiguity,
for example one of the test cases for ncdump outputs this variable
declaration for a case where a variable uses several dimensions named
"dim" in different groups (see ncdump/ref_tst_group_data.cdl):

        float var2(/dim, /g2/dim, dim) ;

The code for figuring out these names is in ncdump/ncdump.c, preceded by
this comment

         /* Subtlety: The following code block is needed because
          * nc_inq_dimname() currently returns only a simple dimension
          * name, without a prefix identifying the group it came from.
          * That's OK unless the dimid identifies a dimension in an
          * ancestor group that has the same simple name as a
          * dimension in the current group (or some intermediate
          * group), in which case the simple name is ambiguous.  This
          * code tests for that case and provides an absolute dimname
          * only in the case where a simple name would be
          * ambiguous. */

The 20 or so subsequent lines of code that implement this should be
captured in a separate function, so other developers don't need to
rediscover how to do it with the current public API.

For the other direction, there is this function in ncdump/utils.c that
would also be useful in the public API:

  /* Missing functionality that should be in nc_inq_dimid(), to get
   * dimid from a full dimension path name that may include group
   * names */
  int
  nc_inq_dimid2(int ncid, const char *dimname, int *dimidp) {

We have some plans to provide API additions such as these for developers
of generic netCDF tools in a future version.  Thanks for pointing out
the need for these.

--Russ