Re: [netcdfgroup] PDL::NetCDF slow since netcdf-4.1.0

  • To: Heiko Klein <Heiko.Klein@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [netcdfgroup] PDL::NetCDF slow since netcdf-4.1.0
  • From: Doug Hunt <dhunt@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 09:38:20 -0700 (MST)
Hi Heiko: I think these calls to nc_sync have been there a long time. I don't recall the original reason for them. Before netcdf version 4.1 was nc_sync just a no-op? If this is the case, then maybe we should put in an AUTOSYNC option with the default = 0 (do not sync).

If the netcdf group has ideas about the utility of nc_sync before netcdf version 4.1, then perhaps we should add the AUTOSYNC option with default = 1 (do sync).

Another alternative would be to remove all calls to nc_sync and then make available and advertise a sync method in PDL::NetCDF.

NetCDF group:  Was nc_sync useful before netcdf version 4.1?

Thanks!

--Doug

dhunt@xxxxxxxx
Software Engineer