Re: [netcdfgroup] [Hdf-forum] netCDF 4.3 Release Candidateavailable --- CMake build in Windows

  • To: "HDF Users Discussion List" <hdf-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [netcdfgroup] [Hdf-forum] netCDF 4.3 Release Candidateavailable --- CMake build in Windows
  • From: "Pedro Vicente" <pvicente@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 12:38:24 -0700
CMake provides two ways to find libraries:
1. CMake built HDF5 - use FIND_PACKAGE (HDF5 NAMES ${HDF5_PACKAGE_NAME})
   where HDF5_PACKAGE_NAME:STRING="hdf5" and ENV{HDF5_DIR}="{path to
hdf5library}/cmake/hdf5"

2. Non-cmake built HDF5 - use FIND_PACKAGE (HDF5)
   where ENV{HDF5_ROOT}="{path to hdf5library}"

thank you for the reply, but this is not clear to me...

what does this mean ? Do I have to edit and change any file ?

I just want a command line example that allows me, in a Windows shell, to do 2 things:

1) build HDF5 from source  using Cmake

I tried using, per the instructions supplied , with my actual zlib header and lib file

cmake .. -D"ZLIB_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=T:\zlib-1.2.3" -D"ZLIB_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=T:\zlib-1.2.3\projects\visualc6\Win32_LIB_Debug\zlibd.lib"

but I got the compiler errors in the previous email due to the generated Visual Studio projects cannot find the zlib header... sure, I can edit the Visual Studio project, and add the header location, which I did, but I would like to know if I missed something on the command above, so that I won't have to do that edit next time,
or is this a HDF5 Cmake project build bug ?

2) build netCDF using the HDF5 *source* build (the above) ; using the HDF5 *binary* build, it's possible with

cmake .. -D"HDF5_ROOT_DIR=T:\hdf5_install_1.8.10\cmake\hdf5" -D"CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=T:\hdf5_install_1.8.10"

------
Pedro Vicente, Earth System Science
University of California, Irvine
http://www.ess.uci.edu/