Re: [netcdfgroup] Mysterious syntax error from 'ncgen -n'

Hi Gary,

It's an unfortunate carryover from "long" originally being a netCDF type
synonymous with "int".  When unsigned primitive types were added to
netCDF-4, "ulong" was interpreted as a synonym for "uint", although
neither "long" nor "ulong" are ever emitted from ncdump.  Finally, in
analogy with CDL allowing either "unlimited" or "UNLIMITED" to specify
the length of an unlimited dimension, type names are accepted in upper
case, hence the CDL syntax error in specifying "double ULONG".

Assuming no one uses upper case primitive type names in CDL, we've fixed
this in the current snapshot, so ncgen will permit variables with names
like "INT64" or "ULONG" in the next release.  In the meantime, the only
workaround is to rebuild ncgen with the current netCDF snapshot.

--Russ