Re: [netcdfgroup] Make the Cmake Windows build static please !

Good morning Pedro,

Building NetCDF statically is already an option, by passing -DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS=OFF during configuration. This will build the netcdf libraries and utilities statically, avoiding the direct dependency on MSVCR100.dll. They will, however, still inherit any downstream .dll dependencies from the curl, hdf and zlib libraries. You might be able to work around this by downloading (or building) static versions of these libraries. However, when I first investigated this process some months ago, it became obvious that this would require more time and effort on our end than we can reasonably expend (particularly for 64-bit versions of the libraries). Hence, we only provide shared libraries pre-built :).

On a tangental note, I see from the NCO discussion you linked that your user was able to resolve the issue by removing the MSVCR100D.dll from the c:\nco\ directory. On Windows, it is preferable to use the Release version of the netcdf libraries (dependent on MSVCR100.dll) for the time being, due to cross-dll memory management situations which arise between the netcdf and hdf libraries. This is a known issue which can be followed in our JIRA system at https://bugtracking.unidata.ucar.edu/browse/NCF-220 . It is possible to build and use the debug libraries, but running the unit tests will result in a handful of errors.

I hope this clarifies the difficulty faced in providing purely static libraries for netcdf-4/DAP enabled builds; as always, I am open to suggestions and work-arounds!

Have a great day,

-Ward